Beautiful Beginnings (11 Tips for New Gym Members)
Walking into a gym for the first time is scary. Trust me I have been there. Believe it or not, every single person who ever walked into a gym has been there. There are all of these crazy machines everywhere and people bending their bodies in ways that bodies are not supposed to go. There are people walking on treadmills and sprinting as fast as they can. People are all wearing different clothes and drinking colorful drinks. Some people are talking, and some people are in their own world. So where do you fit it? What are you supposed to do? Do not let your first time going into a gym scare you!
These are 11 tips I have learned over the years that I suggest to newcomers just like you!
1. My first tip is to be confident, even though you might not have any idea what to do. Remember that every person in there is for their own personal reasons and they are there to work on themselves just lie you. People are at all different levels and there is no shame in just beginning. Every single person in there had their first time in the gym where they had no idea what was going on. They survived it and so can you!
2. Wear comfy clothes and good gym shoes. Ladies, throw that hair back! Trust me you do not want your long beautiful hair getting caught or having it get all knotted up while you burn those calories. You are not there to look pretty, you are there to achieve your goals!
3. One of the most important tips is to bring a water bottle, towel, and headphones to listen to music. You want to stay hydrated during your workout, to be able to wipe the sweat off your forehead and listen to music or podcasts to keep you focused. In most gyms people know not to bug you if you have your headphones in because you are focused!
4. Stretch and warm up! I do not know about you but living in Michigan and walking from my car to the gym makes me FREEZING before working out! Then I take off my winter coat and boots and it is game over. My muscles are tight and my body is cold. This is not how you want to begin a workout. Hop on a piece of cardio equipment of 5 minutes to get that body moving. Then stretch out your entire body to make sure it is ready to go. This prevents injuries.
5. Also, remember to wipe down your equipment after each use. People do not want to put there bodies in a pool of some strangers sweat. It takes 2 seconds and gyms provide you with the tools to do this!
6. Come with a plan. Before going to the gym, find out what equipment your gym has. What part of your body do you want to workout today? Do you want to just do cardio or lift some weights too? When you have a plan, you spend less time wandering around and more time getting right to your workouts.
7. Once you are working out listen to your body. If a certain motion is making part of you hurt, STOP. Odds are you are not doing it right. You do not want to injure yourself on the first day! Use slow movements and really focus on the form. Many machines have how to stickers on the machines so you can see what you are supposed to be doing.
8. If you do not know how to use a machine or piece of equipment ask a professional/ personal trainer at your gym. You can also look up Youtube videos on how to do workouts. Just make sure you are using a professional’s video.
9. Be patient with you body. One workout is not going to make you lose weight. You have to stay consistent and be patient. Keep going!
10. Do not weigh yourself every day. This can decrease motivation and can cause troubles with your mindset. Check out my blog “Winning with Waist Wraps?” for more information.
11. Never skip meals and drink tons of water. You are exerting tons of energy when you workout so it is important you fuel your body in order to do this. This means you need those carbs, fats and proteins. All three of these nutrients is needed to make you stronger.